Just five Ingredients: Saucy Pasta in a flash
For some people shopping for long lists of ingredients is what takes the fun out of cooking. Imagine, then, if you could whip up a dish with just five ingredients, often those found in your pantry or store cupboard. That’s what this section is devoted to. The five ingredients don’t include seasonings such as salt and pepper, oil and water, but it’s still a very small number of ingredients you’ll need to gather. So, start cooking with Just 5 Ingredients.
Pasta with Fresh Tomato Sauce
Simple, and bursting with the goodness of fresh tomatoes, this is an excellent working day dinner. All you’ll need is spaghetti, tomatoes, garlic and perhaps a scattering of fresh basil.
1 packet spaghetti or other pasta
2 tbsp olive oil
4-5 cloves of garlic, finely chopped
½ kilo ripe, red tomatoes
Salt to taste
1) Bring a large pot of water to the boil. Add salt and put in the pasta.
2) While the pasta cooks, make the sauce. Plunge the tomatoes into a pan of boiling water, then take them out and put in a bowl of cold water.
3) Peel and chop the tomatoes roughly.
4) Heat the oil in a thick-bottomed pan, put in the garlic and immediately empty the tomatoes into the garlic-flavoured oil. Add salt.
5) Allow the tomatoes to reduce and become a rich, red sauce.
Your pasta should be done in about 12 minutes. Drain, but do not rinse.
6) Toss the pasta in the tomato sauce and serve immediately.
Note: You can dress up this bowl of pasta with some fresh basil leaves, a grating of Parmesan or a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil. If you want a spicy kick, add some chilli flakes to the sauce while it is simmering.
OMG-inducing, share-compelling, like-attracting, clutter-breaking, thought-provoking, myth-busting content from the country’s leading content curators. read on...