Long-awaited Bollywood film sequels
Potboiling, money-churning sequels . . . that’s the formula that a few Bollywood directors swear by. Housefull, Raaz, Golmaal and Dhoom have all had them—in fact, every few years. But there are a few box office hits whose sequels will hit the screens years after the original was released. Here are some of the long-awaited Bollywood film sequels!
1. Sarfarosh (1999): Aamir Khan floored audiences as officer Ajay Singh Rathore in this thriller-drama. 14 years later, the actor proposed the idea of a sequel to the director John Matthew Matthan. And three years after the two met, John has finally got down to business as he is reportedly readying a script for the sequel!
2. Bade Miyan Chote Miyan (1998): Producer Vashu Bhagnani’s son Jackky might not have been a successful actor, but he is all set to step into his father’s shoes as he debuts as a producer with the film Sarbjit. He also plans to reinvent the 1998 hit film—starring Amitabh Bachchan and Govinda—along with sister Deepshikha.
3. Rehna Hai Tere Dil Mein (2001): Jackky Bhagnani has also announced to produce a sequel to the romantic flick that featured R Madhavan, Dia Mirza and Saif Ali Khan in the lead roles. The Bhagnani siblings want to create a new love story, but with the existing title.
4. Judwaa (1997): Producer Sajid Nadiadwala announced a sequel to Judwaa a while back. Shraddha Kapoor, Kriti Sanon and Alia Bhatt were earlier considered for the female lead role that will now be played by Jacqueline Fernandez. Varun Dhawan will replace Salman Khan in his first dual role.
5. Baazigar (1993): Shah Rukh Khan shot to fame overnight as the anti-hero in Baazigar. While reports of the film’s sequel surfaced repeatedly, the plans were reportedly shelved sue to SRK’s unavailability. However, directors Abbas-Mustan have now signed actor Suraj Pancholi to play the lead role in the sequel.
6. Tum Bin (2001): The romantic drama starring Priyanshu Chatterjee, Himanshu Malik, Sandali Sinha and Raquesh Vashisht was a sleeper hit at the box office. Recently, director Anubhav Sinha unveiled the cast for the sequel which will be made after a gap of 14 years! Aditya Seal, Neha Sharma and Aashim Gulati will play the lead roles in Tum Bin 2.
7. Mr India (1987): The film is certainly one of the biggest cult films in Bollywood after Sholay. There always were talks of a sequel and Boney Kapoor has finally locked in on a script 25 years after the film’s release. If reports are to be believed, son Harshvardhan Kapoor will revive his daddy’s role in the sequel.
8. Aankhen (2002): The producer Gaurang Doshi had announced a sequel to this bank heist thriller way back in 2006 picking up from where the film had ended. Anees Bazmee will direct the sequel and Amitabh Bachchan is expected to retain his role. The producer has also roped in Anil Kapoor and John Abraham!
9. Kaante (2002): Sanjay Gupta’s Kaante which starred Amitabh Bachchan, Sanjay Dutt, Suniel Shetty, Mahesh Manjrekar, Lucky Ali and Kumar Gaurav in the lead roles was a remake of the Hollywood film Reservoir Dogs. Now that Sanjay Dutt is out of the prison, the writer-director-producer is eager to follow-up the hit film with a sequel.
10. Chandni Bar (2001): Madhur Bhandarkar is known to draw inspiration for his films from real-life situations. The sequel Ruby Bar too will be plotted similarly. The film will focus on the plight of the bar dancers after dance bars were banned in Mumbai. Tabu had earlier won a national award for Chandni Bar, but the lead actress for the sequel is yet to be finalized.
OMG-inducing, share-compelling, like-attracting, clutter-breaking, thought-provoking, myth-busting content from the country’s leading content curators. read on...